The Petzl GriGri is probably the most iconic active belay device ever created, known by just about every climber for its light weight, durability, versatility and safety. The second generation GriGri2 is further refined to be even better. Effetive for just about any type of climbing with a single rope, it is easy to use for both lead and top rope belay, and the patented brake assist means reduced work for the belayer and extra peace of mind for the climber. The GriGri2 is especially useful when projecting hard sport routes, where the climber is likely to fall frequently and spend more time resting on the rope. So whether you're just starting out on top rope, running laps at the gym or pushing the grades outdoors, the Petzl GriGri2 is ideal.
The GRIGRI 2 works equally well for lead climbing and top roping. It may be used on all 8.9 to 11 mm dynamic single ropes (optimized for 9.4 mm to 10.3 mm ropes). Compact and lightweight, the GRIGRI 2 will accompany you for many years, on climbs all over the world. The GRIGRI 2's design allows for excellent descent control.
- Hand motions are the same as with classic belay systems: both hands on the rope. A fall is stopped by gripping the brake side of the rope with your hand.
- Assisted braking: during fall arrest, the belayer holds the brake side of the rope, the cam pivots and pinches the rope, increasing the braking action until the rope stops sliding
- The GRIGRI 2's design allows for excellent descent control. One hand holds the rope and the other uses the handle to unlock the cam. The patented handle design allows a very gradual release of the rope. Combined with the strong braking action of the cam, it gives a great feeling of security when lowering a partner or rappelling.
- The GRIGRI 2 is compact and very light at 170 g
- Built with a stainless steel friction plate and cam to ensure a long life for the product
- For 8.9 to 11 mm single ropes (optimized for 9.4 mm to 10.3 mm ropes)
- Diagrams for rope installation engraved on belay device (interior and exterior)
Single ropes between 8.9 and 11 mm in diameter
Aluminum side plates, stainless steel cam and friction plate, reinforced nylon handle
If you haven't used one, It's about time you did.29 November 2016The Grigri is an excellent belay device. I love using it because, generally, most people I belay are heavier than me so the fact that it locks is super helpful when catching or holding climbers. It runs beautifully with newer thinner ropes but when the technique is right, older and fatter ropes work fine too. It's also handy for top-roping as well as lead which makes it an extremely versatile device. I would most definitely recommend it to anyone who has only belayed with an ATC or has simply never used the Grigri before- it's well worth the investment.
Awesome belay device for sport climbing25 October 2016I love belaying with the Grigri, it just gives you a bit more confidence knowing the device is going to lock off when a climber falls and can be used easily for a variety of other tasks including ascending and for rappels. I find it particularly useful when filming as I can just let it lock off and stay secure in one spot and concentrate on the camera rather than controlling my gear. Works well with most ropes but can be a bit sticky with older ropes or any rope that feels a lot more rigid.